Of particular interest were fragments of an iron sword which is the earliest iron object to be found in Wales and the only 'C-type' Hallstatt sword recorded in Britain.
With the exception of the Neolithic settlement at Cefn Glas, there are three certain pre-Medieval settlement sites in the valley — Maendy Camp, Hen Dre'r Gelli and Hen Dre'r Mynydd.
With the increase in population from the mid-19th century the area was officially recognised as the Ystradyfodwg Local Government District, but was renamed in 1897 as the Rhondda Urban District after the River Rhondda.
Residents of either valley rarely use the terms 'Rhondda Fach' or 'Rhondda Fawr', referring instead to 'The Rhondda', or their specific village when relevant.
The Rhondda Valley is most notable for its historical link to the coal mining industry which was at its peak between 18.
The Rhondda Valleys were home to a strong early Nonconformist Christian movement which manifested itself in the Baptist chapels which moulded Rhondda values in the 19th and early 20th century.
In 1912 a hoard of 24 late Bronze Age weapons and tools was discovered during construction work at the Llyn Fawr reservoir, at the source of the Rhondda Fawr.
In 2001 the Rhondda constituency of the National Assembly for Wales had a population of 72,443; Rhondda is part of Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough and is part of the South Wales Valleys.
The best example of a round-cairn was found at Crug yr Afan, near the summit of Graig Fawr, west of Cwmparc.
The cairn consisted of an earthen mound with a surrounding ditch 28 metres in circumference and over 2 metres tall.
Though no definite Mesolithic settlements have been located in the area, the concentration of finds at the Craig y Llyn escarpment suggests the presence of a temporary campsite in the vicinity.
The first structural relic of prehistoric man was excavated in 1973 at Cefn Glas near the watershed of the Rhondda Fach river.